piątek, 9 lipca 2010

How To Pronounce Designers Names

Fashion designers come from different parts of the world and sometimes it's difficult to pronounce their names properly. Their names are also very often "americanized".
So here we go on how to pronounce some of the most famous names and brands.

Alexander Wang: Alexander Wah-ng

Anya Hindmarch: Ahn-ya Heind-march

Arthur Mendonça: Ar-thur Men-doe-sa

Badgley Mischka: Badge-lee Meesh-ka

Bebe: Bee-bee

Bottega Veneta: Bo-tega Ven-e-ta

Bulgari: Bool-gah-ree

Burberry Prorsum: Bur-berry Pror-some

Carolina Herrera: Caro-leena Hair-era

Chanel: Shanel

Charriol: Sha-ree-ol

Christian Lacroix: Kristian La-crew-ah

Christian Louboutin: Kristian Loo-boo-tan

Dolce Gabbana: Doll-chey Gab-ah-na

Donna Karan: Dona Karan

Giambattista Valli: Gahm-battista Valley

Giorgio Armani: Dgor-dgo Ar-mah-nee (not "gee or geeo", cuz in Italian the "i" in "gio" or "gia" is silent)

Giuseppe Zanotti: Jew-sep-pe Zah-not-tee

Givenchy: Jhee-ven-shee

Hermès: Air-mez

Hervé Léger: Air-ve  Le-ger ("g" in Leger in pronounced like "g" in the word "beige")

Jean Paul Gaultier: Jon Pol Goh-tye ("j" in Jean like "g" in beige)

Lanvin: Lon-van

Louis Vuitton: Loo-ee Vee-ton

Maciej Zień: Mach-ey Zy-en

Manolo Blahnik: Mah-no-lo Blah-neek

Marchesa: Mar-kay-sa

Miu Miu: Myoo Myoo

Moschino: Mo-ski-no

Oscar De La Renta: Oscar De La Ren-ta

Pierre Cardin: Pee-air Car-dain

Ralph Lauren: Ralph Lo-ren (as in Lauren, the girl’s name)

Sonia Rykiel: Sonia Ree-kee-el

Thakoon: Ta-koon

Thierry Mugler: Tee-air-ree Moog-lair

Tommy Hilfiger: Tommy Heel-fee-ger

Versace: Ver-sa-che (not ver-sa-chee)

Yves Saint Laurent: Eev Son Lo-ron

32 komentarze:

  1. haha girl it was sooo funny reading italian names with your pronounce advices (i'm italian!)

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. I think "Giuseppe" is not pronounced "Jeez-eppe" but "Jew-zep-peh".

    Good job, Kasiah. I think the hardest part are the French nasals like "Saint Laurent" which sounds like "Son Lorón"... But I think Polish have a similar nasal, right.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  3. i love you blog! thanks for commenting on mine!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  4. This is an awesome post. Personally, I've always struggled with Proenza Schouler

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  5. @MKL: Yeah, it's hard to write all the sounds in English, just because they don't exist.
    And yeah, thats what I meant with Giuseppe, just didn't know how to write it. Gonna change it ;)

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  6. wow!! kasia!! this is a good idea girl!!! I loved it!!!
    xoxo
    lamia

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  7. @fickle red riding hood: I would pronounce that "pro-en-za shoo-ler". I'm not sure this one tho. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  8. ...or more like "schooler"...

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  9. i love practicing how to say these names. :)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  10. Hi! I just found your blog and I LOVE IT! You're now so followed by me! :)

    xoxo,
    www.shineyglam.blogspot.com
    (FASHION, BEAUTY, & WELL-BEING BLOG)

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  11. Thank you so much for this post! I hardly know how to pronounce designers names correctly :D

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  12. Wow these are great, thanks for going through all these brands.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  13. Thanks for sharing! This is very helpful :)

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  14. love this post. i think a lot of people could use a guide like this haha

    http://whatgoeson10.blogspot.com

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  15. this was really useful lol esp for those of us who don't speak french. xoxo!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  16. What an awesome post!! Thanks... I think I was right on most! haha

    xx

    http://styleinsuburbia.blogspot.com/

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  17. I have to admit, I always thought it was Lah-boo-tahn. Now I know!!

    I am a new follower, I hope you'll visit my blog and follow me too!!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  18. Haha, I love this post! :D

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  19. haha i LOVE this post. i remember wayyy back i actually asked a bebe employee how to pronounce the store name because everyone at the time was saying "beh-beh" and i knew that couldn't be right!



    xoxo


    www.iamcoloring.com
    new follower :)
    follow me too! <3

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  20. great post, some of these i weren't so sure on!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  21. What a helpful post! :) I might just save it for future reference ... hheheh

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  22. thanks for your comment darling!
    im glad you like my sandals!
    very interesting your post!
    kisses from http://sweetsyte.blogspot.com/

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  23. This post put a smile on my face!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  24. Looks like I've been pronouncing Marchesa wrong for a while, then...

    http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  25. Hi Kasia, thank you so much for your support through these hard times. Your comment means a lot to me! Aww I'm sorry for your baby, too )= And you are right, my Balou was totally a member of family.

    Thank you again.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  26. Oh my that's hard ! Haha . Thank you for sharing this ! Hope I won't misread them anymore . Haha .

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  27. Haha Cool! It is embarrasing when you dont know how to pronounce a designers' name

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  28. I have trouble saying "Maciej Zień", lol. This is useful - thanks Kasia dear. And no worries about the swap. You can take your time, I totally understand. I still need to get you a few more items as well. (:

    OdpowiedzUsuń